Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Steve A asks about heat training....

Funny you should ask. I purposely went out late on Sat am (2 1/2 hrs)  slower pace, with only 16 oz of water and a fillup at a station at 2 hrs. 100+ degrees the whole time, here at Bootleg Canyon in Boulder City, NV.
 
My own rules:
1. Heat training translates to other environs. I used to train GRR's "wall" at 4:30 pm on purpose as it made my overall body work much harder, often wiped me out but then I got stronger.
2. I always thought hydration recommendations were wacky. I often train w/ very little water, but carbs become important after 2 hrs. So, then Gatorade cut or others are the ticket to get some hydration AND caloric intake without goos or bars.

I have added an extra 2 weeks here in BC to "heat train", and I'm leaving for PC tom for summer.
Ideally, I would train BOTH altitude and HEAT, mixing them up and plenty of recovery. 

3. If you heat train,  I recommend cut speed by 10-20%, and overall workout by 30%, and only 1x a week,  to start!  It really saps you the first few times, then it's fun. then ramp it up! Avoid direct sun as much as possible, by time of day, shady routes or last, bothersome clothing. 

4. Have cool recovery drinks and fruit shakes ready to drink as soon as you finish.

Slot canyons here in Boulder City (vegas area), and early/late trail running give me the heat without sun. Come out sometime! I'll fly down to meet you if we can plan it! Night running the desert trails is a real blast with a headlight! There are quite a few "hot" races down here too, all summer long. But I have a killer slot canyon route, and another fav trail peak route if you can do 2 days.  Should we plan something? The group I run with runs every wed eve and long runs fri/sat early in am. see below....


No comments:

Post a Comment