Monday, October 29, 2012

Using your Brain 8 of 12 .....Gear

Gear Choices

  1. SHOES Ok let's start right at the most important item of your gear. Shoes. There are a myriad of choices nowadays, well beyond the scope of this blog topic. So let me lay down a few major ideas here for shoe selection. 
Proper last construction....every runner runs, strides, and hits the ground differently. Toe tappers and heel strikers are on different end of the spectrum, so if you mix the wrong shoe with style, you will be miserable and slow. Generally, the more you move towards motion control, the slower you will be. The more you move towards lightweight racers, the more perfect your stride should be, and the more injuries you may end up suffering as distance is increased.
But wait, this isn't monolithic; you can mix them for the desired workout. Just never go completely against the desired useage, like use a racing shoe on at 20 miler... you'll injure out.
And as always, execute moderation between useage. Morph between running shoes, don't just retire a shoe or run all miles in a new shoe. Studies indicate our feet will accomodate a variety of strides and cushioning, just use moderation in change. This is REALLY BIG.
Finally, manufacturers constantly take really great shoes and progressively move them to "the middle" as the line model ages, to encourage more sales.
Nike is the worst at this. Pegasus was my favorite. One year the model is a great trainer, the very next year the same model becomes a motion control shoe, the next year it's a bigger toebox. Go figure. My recommendation: Once you find your fav shoe, buy large quantities of the EXACT same year, and stockpile them. Then rotate in new shoes, date them with indelible ink, and that way you'll know when to retire older worn shoes. X out the worn ones for gardening, painting or donating. It's 2012, and I still run in new 2005 Pegasus for my primo events.
     2. CLOTHING.... cotton kills as we say in mountain climbing. So only wear cotton in the desert on hot days. the rest of the time there is a panoply of smart fiber products, just be aware of chafing.
     3. PACKS..... there's now a few choices but here's my take. Fanny packs are great for slower longer runs, but no bueno if racing. Hydration packs are wonderful for hauling gear, fluids and phones. They are GREAT for trail running, longer runs in training, and in bad weather. But for real road racing, I like to clip or pocket my goos/blocks /sharks, and just use a fluted 16 oz. water bottle stuffed in my pants on my back hip, held in place by my pant string. Undiluted, I cut my fluid to 50% concentration by mixing water in my mouth at aid stations, ie. take a swig of gatorade full strength just before aid, then swig a cup of water to cut. that gets me to my 7% solution.  :>)
    4. SOCKS....I like to train a bit in cotton or acrylic to build callous, and use smart wool blends for longer distance. If it's going to be wet, wool blend or straight poly pro/ acrylic types that don't hold water. For instance, dry marathons, wear smart wool blends, if it's raining, acrylic. Just keep in mind acrylic can cause blisters faster. I also like to take plain old vaseline and LIGHTLY coat my feet and toes before long distances to keep abrasions/blisters to a minimum.
    5. BANDANAS....these darn things serve so many purposes, they are my most often used piece of gear. I like to wear around my neck for heating/cooling and keeping sun off my neck. They can be used as a doo rag on your head or to keep in heat if cold. They can be used to wash and hydrate your hands, skin, face. Desert runners should always wear for a light tourniquet in case of a bite. They can be worn under a hat fluttering legion style to protect the head and neck of skin if sunny. A versatile piece of equipment, wash them alot and make them super soft, then wear them in all seasons.
    6. HATS.... I prefer visors in concert with bandanas, rather than a hat. I have a good head of hair, and I just plain overheat, so I like more versatility. Personal preference. I also like the UNDERSIDE of my visor/hat to be black, to knock down sunlight diffusion for my light sensitive eyes.
    7. SUNGLASSES.....I like the light PINK tints, to better see trails, cheaper $30 wraparounds to knock down wind, and if I sit on them, scratch them or lose them, no biggy rather than expensive $100 jobs. I buy 3 pairs at a crack for about $25 price, and vary style and color. If you get headaches, it could be the way they sit on your nose, so play with different styles.
    8. NEVER... never test new equipment/food/shoes/gear if the event is important to you.  :>)

Ok, there you have some gear ideas. Please add your own comments/ ideas and go enjoy a run.

Fasteddie









No comments:

Post a Comment