Thursday, December 1, 2011

Use your Brain 12 ideas 2 of 12 Periodization

2. Periodization
In our continuing series of Mind Blowing ideas to help you run (or workout in general) mo betta.....
More effective but in spirit like Professor Harold Hill's "Think System", you merely need to use your brain to train better, and to perform better. Kinda like free lunch
Same effort, but smarter techniques get better results!

Please read this link when you can.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_periodization

I have been on a periodization program since I was about 32 years old.

Basically, periodization has 4 phases. A ramp up of 1, 2 then 3 weeks, followed by a cut back 4th week. Then week 5,6,and 7 increase either/and/or speed/load of weeks 1,2 and 3. Week 8 cut back. This goes on indefinitely.

IN A NUTSHELL.. you gradually increase 3 weeks in a row, then 4th week cut way back. Then do it again at a slightly higher level!

Read the following only if you want to go deeper, get a brain cramp, or tell me my math is really bad...this is an APPROXIMATION....

Four weeks would look like this....(week1+week2=(week1+x)+week3=(week2+x)+week4=(week1-2x))

then....the next 4 weeks become ((week5=(week1+x))+(week6=(week2+x))+ (week7=(week3+x))+(week8=(week5-2x)) and so on, if I got my math right.

Note week 8 is relative to the start of the new 2nd series.....the fourth week recovery is always relative to the first week of the series. I have approximated the cutback 4th week to (-2x) as a representation of the considerably LOWER workout requirements of the fourth week. You could subtract more or less x every fourth week. In any case, it should end up being about 30% to 40% less than your hardest week of the previous 3 weeks. x, the increase, should probably be around 3% a week, so you never violate a total increase of about 10% total for the month, ballparking the cumulative increases and cutbacks. Someone with a math background might help me explain it better, so feel free to comment.
Every fourth week is a considerable cut back!

Notes:
1. As I've mentioned earlier, inability to adhere to a periodization schedule is the very touchstone of confirmation that you suffer OC (Obsessive Compulsive) disorder, an all too common affliction of endurance athletes. The result of an unending desire to improve without rest leads to a performance plateau, followed by malaise, followed by depression over slowly deteriorating times and performance, along with injuries and unhappiness. If you move into the journeyman status of running, you will see the landscaped littered with such poor souls.
2. Periodization schedules can be micro and macro overlaid into all sorts of other activities. For instance, if you are weight lifting and running, you could use two schedules to minimize or taper weight lifting as you approach a footrace, while concurrently maximizing a macro schedule for running to attain peak race day performance. Cycling, skiing, rock climbing etc. can all have their day, while keeping a shadow schedule of other activities in the background without the effect of overtraining. (OC's are incapable of such nuancing)
3. The anti injury benefits of Periodization Schedules are incredible! Successively harder weeks followed by a 4th week of relative rest keeps your physical component fresh.
4. The MENTAL aspects of periodization are no less beneficial. Every fourth week you get to kick back. You can see it coming to help maximize 3rd week performance. You get to spend some weeknights or weekends with spouses, family, loved ones in a planned environment. This will likely lead to more support for your endeavors from these often neglected people in your life.
5. Periodization forces you into a schedule, so you train not how you feel, but how you can MAXIMIZE the workout/performance ratio. Remember the previous blog on 5 steps to injuries... aerobic and muscle will force injuries of bone, ligaments and tendons. The weakest link concept. Periodization on a written schedule greatly reduces this risk.

4 comments:

  1. I'm laying out my schedule now! Thanks for reminding me of something I used to know then chose to forget. I think I need to stop reading Runners World because I'm always trying to incorporate the latest training schime into my each month and I end up with a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, your math sucks. use x=10% and the monthly increase will be 10%. Being a engineer geek, I made a spreadsheet to see how long it will take me to get my average miles from 21 back into the thirties (where I achieved my former greatness). Looks like 5 months. I could easily just jump back up to 30 next month, but with injuries plaguing me the past two years, I think I'll take my time this time.

    Week1 21.0
    Week2 23.1
    Week3 25.4
    Week4 16.8 avg=21.6
    Week5 23.1
    Week6 25.4
    Week7 28.0
    Week8 18.5 avg=23.7
    Week9 25.4
    Week10 28.0
    Week11 30.7
    Week12 20.3 avg=26.1
    Week13 28.0
    Week14 30.7
    Week15 33.8
    Week16 22.4 avg=28.7
    Week17 30.7
    Week18 33.8
    Week19 37.2
    Week20 24.6 avg=31.6
    Week21 33.8
    Week22 37.2
    Week23 40.9
    Week24 27.1 avg=34.8

    ReplyDelete
  3. Milage build up has gone well. Even my ankle that has given me trouble for years is better! cut back weeks sure help. Now for my questions:
    I am currently running two quality runs per week, Wednesday night tempo (or road intervals) and Saturday long. The long runs are usually on trails with big hills, and I try to keep them between 1:30 to 2:00 hours except one per month at 3:00 to 3:30 hours.

    Now I want to add weight training. What days do you recommend?

    And if I can change my schedule to run track workouts on Tuesday and Tempo on Thursday, what days would you do Weights on?

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you are running twice a week, why not add weights/plyometrics etc for 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hrs 3 times a week, or even more. Unlike running, weight training can be snuck in anywhere, even if on the road. And its workouts can be broken into segments. I like to do pushups before I shower. Steve Scott likes to stand on one leg when he shaves and brushes teeth.
    My training schedule constantly varies. I run/ski/ride and weight lift. So I go by season and current goal. For instance, on my knee recovery, my weight lifting greatly increased as my running and skiing declined. Currently, I am concentrating on skiing and running. As the summer approaches, running will get my fullest attention, weight lifting the least, except for skiing which is nil 8 months a year.
    If you go to run 3 x a week, lower the weight training intensity and time.
    I have a series of about 12 exercises for runners that have worked for me over the last 20 years. I will post it soon on this blog.
    Note that weight lifting, for it's strength benefit, has now been linked with high blood pressure, thickening of arterial walls, and other unhealthy side issues. But Jack La Lane
    always did swim after lifting. I usually spin or run easy AFTER gym workouts. Again, keep in mind that the workouts don't have to be mutually exclusive, or even hard. A brisk walk to and from dinner after weights while on the road might be one way to get you aerobic after stressful days and weight workouts. Fe

    ReplyDelete